tips for a smooth + sleepy + successful newborn session
Updated: Sep 19, 2018
Following these simple steps will ensure that your upcoming newborn session is an awesome experience!
Are you stressing about your upcoming session? Worried that your kiddo is going to stay awake and cry through the whole thing? Well, let’s put all of those fears away and take a deep breath…. I’ve got you sister!! I have put together the following 7 (super simple) tips to follow to ensure a smooth, sleepy and successful newborn session. I really want you to be able to take a step back during your photos and ooo and awww over the beautiful child you’ve got! It’s gonna be great! Ok, so here are your tips:
1. Please interact with your baby as much as possible to keep him/her awake for at least one hour prior to our session to ensure he/she is nice and sleepy when you arrive. Without this, we may spend more time getting the baby to fall asleep and less time photographing him/her. Try giving him/her a bath or play with him/her to keep them awake. If you live further than 15-20 minutes from our studio, please plan to arrive 45 minutes prior to your session so we can be sure he/she is sleepy when we begin.
2. If you have older children, please plan to drive 2 cars so dad can take them for a play date once they are done with their photos.
3. Please plan to give the baby a full feeding as soon as you arrive at the studio. If baby is formula fed, please bring extra formula and bottles. We will have a bottle warmer at the studio for your convenience.
4. Please dress the baby in just a diaper and zipper/button sleeper (no onesie). The less we can upset the baby getting him/her out of the car seat, the easier it will be to get them to fall back asleep.
5. If you are nursing, please avoid eating anything spicy that might upset baby’s stomach for 24 hours prior to our session.
6. Please bring along a pacifier if your baby takes one.
7. Dress comfortably and be sure all outfits compliment (opposed to clash) with each other. Avoid logos and characters on clothing, as they tend to be distracting.
I will also be posting about how to decide what to wear, and that will include a visual wardrobe guide to take all the guess work out for you. Congratulations on this exciting time for your family! I am so glad you have made the investment to document your days and create a legacy of memories for you and the generations that follow!
_ "Time flies over us, but leaves its shadow behind". -Nathaniel Hawthorn